With breathtaking views around each bend, and a smoky haze that greets you most mornings, it’s no wonder that the Smoky Mountains are one of the most popular national parks in the United States. But if you think ten million visitors a year would result in overcrowding and traffic jams, you’d be wrong. The Smokies offer 400 miles of roadway and over 800 miles of hiking trails, running through Tennessee and North Carolina. There’s more than enough room to spread out, and enough entertainment to delight every taste. There are also cabins for every budget, from a fabulous deal on a basic cabin to one that boasts the height of luxury. Most cabins are equipped with wifi and cable, and can accommodate a family on a hiking trip or a couple whose main goal is a romantic getaway weekend. Here are a few things you can plan to do while staying in your Smoky Mountain cabins:
How to Enjoy Yourself
- There are a host of ways to enjoy the wonders of nature. Choose from hiking on foot, exploring on horseback or ATV, take a driving tour, or try out a zip line.
- The mountains reach a height of 6500 feet and offer a view for 25 miles, with waterfalls and historic buildings, so plan your explorations to include some of these natural wonders.
- When you tire of exploring the outdoors, head into either Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge for some shopping and entertainment. In addition to shopping, you can visit Ripley’s aquarium, museums, miniature golf, or an animal petting zoo.
- Don’t forget to include a day to explore your inner child, or to delight your children, with a visit to Dolly Parton’s amusement park, Dollywood, or a visit to the Gatlinburg Space Needle, rising 400 feet above the city.
- Enjoy the performances at the Smoky Mountain Opry house, where you may be lucky enough to catch Dolly Parton or the Gatlin Brothers, or a rising star in country music. There’s also a lumberjack competition that provides some lively activities.
- Adults will delight in touring the wineries and distilleries, and the performances at the various comedy clubs.
- Forget the diet for the time being, and enjoy really great comfort food, served southern style. The barbecue can’t be beat.
These are but a few ways to make the most of your stay in your Smoky Mountain cabins.